Date: July 14, 2021
From: Rick Culliton
Subject: Campus Update
To the Wesleyan community:
I hope you are enjoying your summer. This past year the global pandemic has tested us all, asking us to have courage and flexibility in the face of a great unknown. Thanks to everyone’s hard work and diligence in keeping our community safe, we are excited for a return to normalcy on campus this fall.
I want to take a moment to update you on plans for the upcoming academic year.
Vaccinations are required and employees and students must report their vaccine information by August 1. Employees must upload a copy of their vaccination card to WesPortal and report the date on which they are fully vaccinated (if they have not already done so). Faculty and staff not receiving the vaccine for medical or religious reasons must complete an Exemption Request Formwith Human Resources before returning to work.
All campus services and activities will return to pre-pandemic operations—classrooms will return to full capacity, dining and mail services will return to normal operations and athletics will resume full conference play and championships for all sports starting with the fall 2021 season. There are a few exceptions to note:
- Testing. All new and returning students will be tested upon returning to campus. Unvaccinated students and employees will be required to test weekly. Wesleyan’s testing partner, the Broad Institute, is providing an anterior nasal swab Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) test. Students who test positive will be expected to quarantine in their residence, wear a mask, and limit interactions with others outside of their immediate residential unit. Health Services will inform students if they need to relocate to isolation housing. Details of the campus testing program (scheduling, campus location and hours of operation) will be provided in mid-August.
- COVID Safety Protocols. All unvaccinated employees and students with approved exemptions will be required to adhere to COVID safety protocols—weekly testing, wearing face coverings at all times when in public, and adhering to social distancing guidelines.
- University Travel. University-funded travel (domestic and international, including study abroad) is permitted for fully vaccinated employees and students so long as the destination is rated COVID-level 3 by the Centers for Disease and Prevention (CDC). If a country rises to COVID-level 4 after tickets are purchased, travel to that country should be cancelled or delayed until the country returns to level 3 or below. Learn more about CDC Travel Guidance. To assist employees and students travelling abroad, the Fries Center for Global Studies has set up a travel registry. Faculty, students, and staff travelling outside the U.S. are encouraged to sign up.
- Campus Visitors. Visitors are allowed on campus. Unvaccinated guests must adhere to and follow the COVID safety protocols. Visitors attending indoor activities and events (conferences, performances, athletic contests, etc.) with more than 20 people may require additional safety measures, possibly including reduced capacity and negative tests.
- Staffing. Cabinet members will continue to direct their division’s work plans. Human Resources has released an alternative work arrangements policy that will guide some of these work plans. Employees should consult with their supervisor regarding work plans.
We are committed to keeping Wesleyan healthy and will continue to monitor the status of the virus in our area. We are deeply appreciative of the remarkable efforts made by so many people here to keep us all safe. Because of those efforts, we can look forward to a wonderfully normal fall semester.
Thank you, as always, for your care and attention.
Rick Culliton, Dean of Students
Chair of the Pandemic Planning Committee